No. 1 Dad Trophy (Father’s Day Craft)
Father’s Day is right around the corner (Sunday, June 17 th, 2012)! Here’s a fun and simple craft that you can do with your little artist for his/her main man… Dad.
Like a lot of guys I love the latest gadget. We are fascinated by technology. My ideal gift is a gift card to Best Buy where I can get an mp3 player, iPad, e-reader, video game, music CD, GPS system (and the list goes on…). We LOVE that stuff. – But when it comes to my kids there’s no gift that I like more than something that they’ve created.
Follow these steps to honor Dad with a special #1 Dad Trophy. Have fun.
No. 1 Dad Pasta Trophy:
- Trophy Template – download here: trophy stencil
- Utility Knife
- Craft Glue
- Pasta (a few different types and sizes: macaroni, bow tie pasta, rigatoni…)
- Gold or Yellow paint (tempera, acrylic, or spray paint)
- Small piece of paper (approx. 2″x 3″)
- Make the base – This project requires a base or frame for the pasta to be glued on to. You can either print and trace the template or free draw a trophy onto a piece of cardboard. Using a utility knife, cut out the trophy shape. This can also be done on construction paper and cut out with scissors.
- Decorate – Help your child squeeze a thick layer of glue over the entire base. Let your child place the pasta pieces onto the glue in any manner/design they choose. Encourage them to cover as much of the glue as possible. Set aside to dry.
- Paint – Once the glue has completely dried it’s time to paint. You can use just about any type of paint (washable tempera, acrylic, or spray paint). Provide your child with a few different size paint brushes to complete this portion so that they can cover the pasta and fill those hard to reach places. For easy and complete coverage take it outside and spray paint it for your child.
- Personalize – After the paint has dried it’s time to personalize it. On a small sheet of paper let your child draw or write a note or phrase such as “#1 Dad”, “Best Dad Ever”, “I Love You”. Don’t forget to write their name and the date on the back so that years later Dad can remember his special day.
Wishing you and your family a special and Happy Father’s Day 2012!